Report Period: December 31st 2019 to September 2021
Funded by GIZ RMSP
Beneficiaries: 22,017

Location: Quetta

Summary: Afghan refugees living in Pakistan constitute one of the largest and most protracted refugee situations in the world. Currently there are 1.4 million registered Afghan refugees residing in different parts of Pakistan including Balochistan, which hosts 27% of whole refugees. Of the total Afghan refugees in Balochistan, 57% reside in different areas of Quetta urban and the rest 43% in refugee villages (Source UNHCR). According to the UNHCR factsheet 0.3 million registered Afghan refugees living in Quetta urban and they face different problems and challenges, including, poor livelihood, lack of education, health facilities, social issues, arrest and detention, lack of job opportunities and general protection conditions. Children and elderly are mostly vulnerable sections of the society and they are exposed to protection and acceptance issues. Also, there are less chances for youth particularly females to further realize their potential in different spheres of life, which gravely affects them psychologically. Refugee children on the other hand are also facing protection issues in workplaces, especially, street working children who are garbage pickers and work in hazardous places.

To address the above issues WESS and GIZ started this project in November 2019 to establish an urban cohesion hub to promote social cohesion between Afghan Refugees and Host population of Quetta. Union Councils for the project are Geo, Kechi Baig, Satellite Town, Lore Karez and the targeted Clusters include Qadir-Abad, Buhsa Mundi, Bashir Chok, Ghosabad, Satellite Town, Mugal abad. The main components are Education, Protection, Livelihood and CIF (Community Initiative Fund).

Under the education component, the program includes literacy classes, computer courses, English language classes, child friendly environment through ECE, and learning resource center. Livelihood component includes vocational and technical training courses for the target unemployed population with provision of small grants for business establishment. The protection component provides a conducive environment for working street children, legal services for the target population, psycho social support and health interventions among others.

Objective

Impact

PROTECTION SERVICES

mace
Legal Aid


We provide legal counseling, community sessions on legal protection and referral of beneficiaries to the implementing partner of UNHCR.

psychology-book
Psycho-Social Support


We provide psycho-social support that includes individual counseling, community sessions on mental health, gender-based violence, referral of clinical clients to partner organizations.

first-aid-kit
Health


We provide health services that include general OPD, ultrasound, first aid, sessions on health and hygiene, free medical camps and referral to partner organizations.

EDUCATION COURSES

ENGLISH

3 Months Course | 5 Days a Week (Morning & Evening) | 1 Hour Class

Beginner & Advance Level

Listening | Reading | Writing | Speaking

COMPUTER

3 Months Course 5 Days a Week (Morning & Evening) | 1 Hour Class

Beginner & Advance Level

MS Office (Word, Excel, Presentation) | Typing | Installation (software/windows) | Importance of Computer

JOYFUL LEARNING

5 Days a Week (Morning & Evening)

Empowering, and Playful Learning of Meaningful Content in a Loving and Supportive for Kids

LITERACY / NUMERACY

5 Days a Week (Morning & Evening) | 1 Hour Class

Engaging, Empowering, and Playful Learning of Meaningful Content in a Loving and Supportive for Kids

TECHNICAL SKILL CENTER

Urban Cohesion Hub believes in empowering and equipping Afghan refugees and host people with livelihood skills. We provide trade courses of dress making, fashion designing, motor winding, and automobile repair.

Community Initiative Funds

These small community grants encourage and stimulate a wide scope of project ideas to improve the provision of services, with an aim to promote social cohesion, women empowerment, education, community development etc. of vulnerable populations of target areas of Quetta.

contact number